excerpt from Gwinnett Daily Post Article by: Will Hammock
full article on
HAMMOCK: Carrera getting the job done for Meadowcreek football
Jason Carrera brought an immediate energy to the football program when he was hired during the offseason, bringing a large group of his friends as assistants to help in the mission. He stressed discipline and accountability, took the Mustangs through a competitive (and successful) summer passing league schedule unlike the past and instilled a sense of confidence from the start.
When the losses stockpiled in past seasons, the expectations came in low. Defeats were accepted and, sadly, anticipated. The players couldn’t fathom how to win.
Four games into Carrera’s tenure, he and his fellow coaches have changed that. Consider these accomplishments already:
• Two wins in a season for the first time since 2001
• Consecutive wins for the first time since 2000
• 39-point margin of victory over Clarkston was largest in school history
• Wins over Rockdale (25-point margin) and Clarkston are first wins by that margin since 1994
• First season with multiple wins of 25-plus points since 1990
We’re almost to October and Meadowcreek has a .500 record at 2-2, which has been unthinkable for nearly 20 years. That’s a credit to Carrera, previously quarterbacks coach at Stockbridge, and his coaching staff, as well as to the Mustang administration for hiring the right guy.